Saturday, February 12, 2011

Black Pudding

Yesterday Regi and I were beat after a fun filled day in Cork.

The sun finally decided to come out as we walked the streets. My favourite part was the English Market. It was a maze of sellers selling everything from meat to vegetables, to chocolates, and more. The butchers would cut up whole sides of cows right there in front of you.
We also went to the Crawford Art Gallery and saw a very touching photo exhibition called "All My Love". Very postmodern but it actually worked quite well. Several artists photographed their own relatives at different stages in their lives. I really enjoyed that.

We came home in the evening to find that the pigs that were under house arrest had managed to move a pallet and a metal gate that was blocking their way and was able to stand up and use their hooves to open the glass house door! Mike, Regi, and I had to chase those bandits for over 30 minutes before we could get them in their electrified pens again.


Today we were treated to black pudding! It's actually a sausage made from blood from their own pig, lentils, rice flakes, barley, and more. It was pretty good but I couldn't eat too much of it. It reminded me of the blood sausage that Mama ate in Austria. Mike and Fiona like the idea of using potatoes in it and are going to try that recipe next time.

No comments: